Sunday 19 June 2011

Strictly Gershwin full of Ballet and Jazz!

Strictly Gershwin bringing glamour to the
Royal Albert Hall
On Saturday afternoon I attended the English National Ballet performance of Strictly Gershwin at the Royal Albert Hall. It may have been a day of sunshine and showers in London but inside this magical iconic building we were taken on a journey to the world of glamour created by George and Ira Gershwin.

Derek Deane's Strictly Gershwin mixes ballet, jazz, modern and tap dancing to provide us with a very spectacular show that enchanted us all. My highlight was Rhapsody in Blue which combined this musical kaleidoscope of America with classical ballet that summed up the whole spirit of the show.

This was bringing ballet to the masses with happiness and celebration.  Act I was Gershwin on Broadway with Overture, I've Got A Crush On You, The Man I Love, Fascinatin' Rhythm, Shall We Dance, Someone To Watch Over Me, 'S Wonderful, Gershwin-terlude and An American in Paris.

Act II was just as delightful bringing us Gershwin in Hollywood with Rhapsody In Blue, Embraceable You, Lady Be Good, Summertime, But Not For Me, Who Cares?, Strike Up The Band, It Ain't Necessarily So, A Foggy Day and I Got Rhythm. This was all performed on the large Royal Albert Hall stage that had us all applauding in great appreciation.

I had a wonderful experience at the Royal Albert Hall and very much enjoyed the show. I was tap dancing in the rain all the way back to South Kensington Underground Station.

No comments:

Post a Comment